Wednesday 29 October 2014

Checking My Armour

Wow it has been some time since I've been inspired to draw, but sometimes God comes at you with such a revelation in your life and there's a picture in our minds we're just dying to look at with our physical eyes.

God's been speaking to me in various ways, aiming His words at one thing: righteousness. I've been convicted on several occasions the past few years about really giving my all to Christ, throwing off anything that hinders, holding nothing back.

Hebrews 12:1 NASB
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

As I thought about the unrighteousness in my life, everything that entangles me, I had a picture of armour in my mind. A soldier standing with a breastplate that had rusted edges and cracks. I could almost imagine a label on each crack; things like "garbage movies" & "gossip"...cracks that made serious week spots like "bitterness" & "vanity".
This soldier (me) would justify his abilities by saying "oh my shield of great faith will compensate for my weaknesses... and my sword of the Spirit is living and active! There's no denying it's power... oh and my helmet! Nobody is able to remove it because salvation is mine through Christ. Amen... and I even use my shoes and share the gospel once in a while... yes my armour works well enough that if only one part is week, I need not worry."

The truth is, though, that if a hard enough blow comes my way aimed for my chest, I will not stand. I am so convinced that God is working in my heart to convict me of sin and heal my cracks so that I may stand with a beautiful strong breastplate, ready to protect against any spear, dart, arrow or boulder the enemy throws my way.
It makes me think if that scene from A Knight's Tale where Heath Ledger get his wonderful new armor but is unsure. His blacksmith says to him, "Do you at last have the courage to test it?" They send a huge boulder that comes at him and knocks him down, but then he sits up, delightfully surprised, and says, "I didn't feel a thing!"

I want my armor to be that way. In such new and flawless condition. Lord I need You. Your help is the only way that I can be strong enough to throw off EVERYTHING that hinders me.

No comments:

Post a Comment